There are some distortions of historical figures in some movies. The directors might have their own translation of those figures characters in their movies. However, acting talent of those who played the outstanding historical characters and the professionalism of the whole team can make such movie a huge success.
1. Xerxes I (Movie: ‘300’, 2006)
Played Rodrigo Santoro. The figure characters is still remain unknown. Some historians may said he is a narrow-minded and weak and arrogant, some said he is a wise and experienced warrior. The movie portrait as a blood thirsty and ambitious ruler with funny costume and bald head.
2. Alexander The Great (Movie: Alexander, 2004)
Played by Colin Farrell. Some inaccuracies found in the movie. The appearance of the actor also different from the original
3. Salvador Dali (Movie: Little Ashes, 2008)
Played by Robert Pattinson. The actor has shown his best effort to show the image of the artist.
4. King Leonidas (Movie: ‘300’, 2006)
Played by Gerard Butler. Historians claimed that Leonidas didn’t show any remarkably effort in his 10 years reign, but died heroically at the battle of Thermopylae. The movie show the king is very brave and charismatic.
5. Commodus (Movie: Gladiator, 2000)
Played by Joaquin Phoenix. The movie have totally different image with some historical inaccuracies. The real Commodus ruled Rome for around 13 years, while in the movie is only 2 years.
6. William Wallace (Movie: Braveheart, 1995)
Portrayed by Mel Gibson. The real William Wallace is a Scottish knight, with noble family background.
7. Joan of Arc (Movie: The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc, 1999)
Portrayed by Milla Jovovich. The figure is totally different with Mila short hair.
8. Arthur (Movie: King Arthur, 2004)
Portrayed by Clive Owen. The title character in this movie looks very different from the legendary British leader. Plus, according to critics, the movie itself is full of historical inaccuracies.
9. Henry VIII (Movie: The Tudors, 2007)
Portrayed by Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The original appearance is different.
10. Cleopatra (Movie: Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra, 2002)
Portrayed by Monica Bellucci. In fact, Cleopatra was small and not that attractive.